Last Shift (2014)



This was a busy week as I worked on some college stuff and dealt with a return to the softball schedule. Still, I was able to find some time to squeeze in some horror into the little time I had. Now, after spending the early evening with my amazing daughter Genesis at the Fay West Honors Band concert on her 18th birthday, it was time to get back to the blog. Next up for review is a movie that was recommended to me during a conversation, and a movie that I have passed over in the past few weeks, the 2014 horror/thriller Last Shift.


Plot/ A rookie cop's 1st shift in the last night of a closing police station alone turns into a living nightmare.


Having seen this one at both the video store and Netflix, I had passed it over a few times in the past few trips, and I cannot believe that I did. This one was not at all what I expected from the cover, and was a movie that was definitely much better than some of my recent selections. Although this was a low budget entry, it did not fall into many of the same traps that plague lower budgeted films. Even with a small cast, this one creates an interesting story that has tremendous pacing, an effective soundtrack, and a dark and heavy atmosphere. More importantly, it did not shy away from the horror aspects and used some creative practical effects to create some bloody and dark visuals. Sure, there were some subtle flaws, with some of the lighting effects/scares being a touch off the mark and the ending (although perfect for the storyline) was somewhat predictable considering the smaller cast, but those are extremely minor in the overall picture and are easily overlooked. In the end, this low budget flick is well worth watching, and a movie that fans of horror should check out. It is a lot better than some of the mainstream horror flicks released in 2014.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)