Sphere (1998)



As I continue to push through this transmedia project that is a modern adaption of the H.P. Lovecraft classic Haunter of the Dark, I find myself spending more time on it than I ever imagined I would. In doing so, I have been spending time a lot of time with a variety of movies on as background inspiration. The last flick I watched was the 1998 Sci-Fi/Mystery/Thriller Sphere.


Plot/ 1000 feet below the ocean, navy divers discover an object half-a-mile long. A crack team of scientists is deployed to the site in Deep-sea Habitats. What they find boggles the mind as they discover a perfect metal sphere. What is the secret behind the sphere? Will they survive the mysterious 'manifestations'? Who or what is creating these? They may never live to find out.



This was a difficult movie to review. I watched it again the other night after not seeing it for over a decade, and honestly, I found it better than I thought. As was the case the first time I watched it, this is really the tale of two different movies: a first and a second half. The beginning is awesome and touches on some intriguing topics and is entertaining. Unfortunately, with all the promise, the unlikable characters and uneven performances make it difficult to truly digest everything that they were trying to say within the movie. Personally, I liked it because it made me think, and presented some ideas that have always captivated me in a way that was both entertaining and challenging. Of course, this Sci-Fi thriller is not for everyone, but it is definitely worth watching.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)