Holy Ghost People (2013)



After watching I, Frankenstein last night it was time to dive into something a little more serious. With my writing class challenging me to dive into other genres besides my typical horror realm, I decided to watch a drama. My choice for the evening was the Holy Ghost People from 2013.  


Plot/ On the trail of her missing sister, Charlotte enlists the help of Wayne, an ex-Marine and alcoholic, to infiltrate the Church of One Accord - a community of snake-handlers who risk their lives seeking salvation in the Holy Ghost.


I went into this knowing nothing about it, and that really worked. This is a fascinating story, which is extremely believable on many different levels. The acting is solid, the storyline interesting, and there are aspects that make it entertaining. Yes, there are some problems early on that felt forced, some of the characters are under developed, and there are some narration aspects that really take something away from the overall feel. In the end, this is an entertaining drama that does a great job diving into the darker sides of religion. Because of those religious overtones, this one is not for everyone, but it is definitely an intriguing movie that should be seen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)