The Secret Village (2013)



After picking up a flick for the daughters (The Mortal Instruments), I decided that I needed to find some type of low budget horror to make my evening complete once their flick was over. After a quick search of Family Video, I decided to grab something I had not seen in the store before, the 2013 low budget mystery The Secret Village. 


Plot/ Greg, an unsuccessful screenwriter and Rachel,a beautiful journalist research an outbreak of mass hysteria in a small village. They start to uncover a secret about ergot poisoning that has affected this village for years. But the cult activity has been kept a secret by the locals and when Greg disappears, Rachel is left alone to unravel the mystery and save their lives. 


I was drawn into this low budget affair as soon as I saw it at Family Video. While it is far from perfect and does have some problems, it is also a touch better than I expected. The acting and storyline are solid. Yes, the non-linear storyline did have some confusing moments that seemed to cause some pacing flaws, but overall, I liked the non-linear feel. However, there were some issues with the characterization, editing, visual effects and sound. It all felt too modern and alive, as the visuals and soundtrack lacked the dark atmosphere that could have served the movie in many different ways. In the end, it is not a terrible movie, but it is not a memorable one either. If you are searching for an OK low budget flick, give it a shot, there are much worse available. If that is not your thing, stay away!


Comments

  1. it´s the worst film i have ever seen ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)