The Devil's Carnival (2012)



Every weekend I try to find something different and interesting to watch and review. While this is a challenge at times, as many entries in the indie genre can be hit-or-miss, it is something that I take enjoyment in finding. This weekend I decided to venture deep into some of the flicks I have been pushing off for the interesting musical venture, The Devil’s Carnival from one of my favorite filmmakers' Darren Lynn Bousman.


Plot/ Three individuals have, somehow, found their way to a carnival, set in hell, and run by the devil. The trio is made up of a kleptomaniac, an obsessed father, and a gullible teenager, all of whom are doomed to repeat the very sins that delivered them to the carnival's doorsteps.


I have had this movie in my queue for some time, but had not decided to watch it. Last night, the 55-minute run time fit into my schedule perfectly and I am so happy to have finally watched it. This one is not for everyone, and it is likely to be split down the middle love or hate. I personally love it. This dark and atmospheric musical does a great job of creating a twisted journey into three of Aesop's Fables.  The soundscape, the visual effects, and cinematography are tremendous. Yes, the acting is a bit uneven in spots and the short run time does have an impact, but neither drags it down. In the end, this flick is one of the better horror-themed musicals I have seen and a movie that must be seen. If you love Repo: The Genetic Opera you should definitely check this one out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)