Hugo (2011)



One of the movements in life that I absolutely love, but have not been able to truly find my place in is Steampunk. Everything about it fascinates me, as I feel like much of the world would be better if we embraced that culture and improved upon it. Life could be simpler, better and more open. Ironically, when I first saw the preview for Hugo, that same feel popped into my mind, and now, I finally sat down to watch it to see.


Plot/ Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.


This was an interesting flick; I am just not sure who the intended audience was. We picked it up for the daughters, but they drifted off within the first hour, me, I was captivated by the scenery and the idea. Honestly, it may be one of the most visually stunning movies I have seen in some time, and the story, while a bit choppy, inspired me. Yes, some of the pacing seemed a bit slow, and some of it may have been a bit confusing, but that did not deter this film at all. With an amazing atmosphere, solid back-story, heartfelt message and truly amazing look, this movie was like a dream opening the doors to an imagination that had been closed a long time ago. In the end, this ode to the early days of film may be a tad slow, but it is a piece of cinematic genius that must be seen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)