The Embalmer AKA Monster of Venice (1965)



Last night after the bizarre Death Warmed up, I continued with the Pure Terror Collection by watching the 1965 entry The Embalmer (AKA The Monster of Venice).


Plot/ A crazed killer is on the loose in the catacombs of Venice, Italy. He stalks beautiful women, drags them to his underground lair, kills them, then stuffs them and adds them to his collection.


I definitely got the idea that this was an early example of what would eventually hit the more mainstream as a giallo. Unfortunately, while that was an interesting twist to discover, the film as it is does not deliver in any way. Truly the movie makes little sense (come on a frogman grabbing women in the canals of Venice). The movie suffers from off pacing, terrible acting and possibly the worst dubbing I have seen since Godzilla. I will admit that there are some suspenseful moments and the manikins do provide some creepy moments, not to mention that most of this was extremely taboo for 1965. While I can say I will not be watching this one again, fans of 1960s murder mysteries may enjoy it more than I did. Do not run out any purchase this one anytime soon!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Serial Killer Theresa Knorr: The Disturbing Truth Behind The Afflicted

Creep (2004)

Super Shark (2011)